tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 22 06:52:07 1994

Re: Star Trek VI

On Mon, 22 Aug 1994, Susan Farmer wrote:

> >From: [email protected] (Nick NICHOLAS)
> >Subject: Star Trek VI
> >
> >... was on the tv last night. Someone has got to transcribe this stuff, and
> >publish it in HolQeD: there are surprises to be had there. Just as in the
> >Skybox cards series (which, Mark, did render canonical the "ship in which
> >I travelled" pattern you've just protested). I may or may not do this; if
> >someone has already done this, never mind this "bIpo'choHmeH do it yourself"
> >stuff --- post it!
>
> The script can be purchased from Lincoln Enterprises and the klingon
> "accurately" gleaned from there.  I have done this for several of the
> TNG scripts with Klingon "stuff" in them.  Most of the time the language
> isn't spelled correctly (R'uustai instead of ruStay for instance).  (I
> have thought that this was because of copyright "Problems/issues" with
> Dr. Okrand.  I hadn't offered to post because I had the impression that
> y'all didn't think to highly of the spoken or televised version of
> klingons.  Correct me if this is an invalid assumption.  Some of the text
> (especially first season) is garbage.  Some of it is straight out of the
> dictionary, and some of it has been even more phonetically spelled, and
> some of it ("For He's a Jolly Good Fellow") seems to bear no resemblance
> to anything living or dead.

I have worked in Television (and have been a Klingon!   YA!!!!) but the
reasons behind the "misspelling" as basically and simply that the actors
need to be able to read them and sound right.    (Remember me, I was the
one who suggested phonetic sounding next to people's post -- yeah, it was
a stupid idea, but now you know how/where it came from)...I no longer
support phonetics only, I still like to know how to pronounce though...oh

Qapla'

Starr

Back to archive top level