tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 22 06:40:47 1994

Re: open can of worms

>Hu'tegh! nuq ja' William H. Martin jay'?

>=> 1) Is there or was there ever a liquid equivalent to "feed", and if not,
how
>=> come?
>=For THAT matter, what equivalent exists in English? "Feed him
>=and give him something to drink!"? "Feed him and make him
>=drink!"? "Feed him, and let him drink!"? While I do see this as
>=an omission in Klingon, I think English has the same omission.
>=I also know of no single verb for this in French or sign
>=language. Okay, polyglots, there's a challenge for you. What
>=languages have a liquid equivalent to the verb "feed"?

>Greek potizo, for starters. (Cheating there, since it's my parents' language

>:) . I don't see what's wrong with tlhutlhmoH. Why a single stem for je'?
>I suppose because, culturally, food is deemed more important as sustenance
>than liquid. After all, nursing mothers are deemed to feed...

My intent was to point out the gap in the *English*. But it is true that this
gap spills into Klingon (pun intended!). {je'} is probably just a synonym for
{SopmoH}, which makes it interesting, because is its object the eater or the
eaten?

It's most likely this:
{targhvaD Qa' lom chu' je' toy'wI'}

It becomes odd when one substitutes {SopmoH}. I am still wondering what one
should do when tacking {-moH} onto an already transitive verb. I thought of
using {-vaD} on the noun which is the patient of the cause and agent of the
verb while having the patient of the verb remain the object, but that's
confusing, so I'd stick to {...'e' qaSmoH} and shy away from tacking {-moH}
onto transitive verbs, unless the patient of the verb is indefinite:

{targh tlhutlhmoH toy'wI'}  (liquid sustenance unnamed)

>--
>Nick Nicholas. Linguistics, University of Melbourne.

ghuy'Do wa' -- jpj* -- loDHom Doj
Guido#1 -- aka -- BoyWonder

*jpj = jaS ponglu'meH je

Back to archive top level