tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 19 07:05:56 1994

Re: Quenya phrase

According to HoD trI'Qal:

> > DaHlup maghomchuqbogh wovqu' Hovmey
> >
> > Most Klingonists will find two aspects of this troubling.
> >
> > 1) {DaH}+time.element is my way of getting around the common Anglicisms like
> > {povam}, etc. It's only an extension of {DaHjaj}...

> ... Okrand said we CANNOT.
>
> Look in your KD again, on page 83.  (or page 56, if you prefer.)  <DaH>
> is clearly listed as an *adverbial*.  This means it is <chuvmey>.
>
> What you have above is an attempt at a compound noun... which, as has
> been said before, may only have NOUNS in it.

One possible solution is to make the reference a noun-noun
construction with {DaHjaj}, which IS a noun. Instead of DaHram,
which violates trI'Qal's concerns, you can use {DaHjaj ram}, or
"today's night", which is a bit less controversial than the
more possibly English-idiomatic {ramvam}. That doesn't work for
{lup}, however.

Again, addressing:
> > DaHlup maghomchuqbogh wovqu' Hovmey

Why stick to a poetic reference that does not seem to want to
translate well? Why not:

maqIHDI' wovqu'jaj Hovmey!

> --tQ

charghwI'