tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 19 07:13:39 1994

Re: RE- salutations!!!!

>         Reply to:   RE>>RE: salutations!!!!
> reply to Salutations
> Excuse me for this but .....umm.... I think it is the PLANET'S shadow across
> the moon, (usually between the light source (sun or star) and the object or
> satellite being eclipsed (not allways a moon)   K

*sighs*

No, you have it backwards.

One of my other, less-practiced hobbies is astronomy.  When you have an
eclipse of the sun (the most well-known kind), the Moon (or some other
body, yes, but in our case, it is always the Moon) passes between the Sun
and the Earth, so that the Earth moves through the Moon's shadow.

What you are talking about is a lunar eclipse, where, at a time when the
Moon would normally be "full", the Earth passes between *it* and the Sun,
throwing the Earth's shadow across the "full" Moon.

To give dates of examples of each, the most recent Solar eclipse (the more
well-known kind, where the Sun goes dark) was just a few months ago, on
May 10th, 1994.  The next total Lunar Eclipse will not be until April 3,
1996.

In short, <maSQIb'a'> is a perfectly acceptible translation for "eclipse",
if you are intending the kind where the Earth is darked from the Moon
passing the Sun.

--tQ

--
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH, qatlh reH HaghtaH HoD Qanqor...?

--HoD trI'Qal		Captain T'rkal		---------------------
  tlhwD lIy So'		IKV Hidden Comet	|   [email protected]

Back to archive top level