tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 19 06:15:37 1994

Re: Translation problem

According to Ron Whittle:

> I'm having a problem translating David Barron's .sig
> It reads:
>   lup Hoch yIyInqu'
>   qaStaHvIS wa' lup
>   wa'netlh yInpu' yInmey

This is a very poetic statement, so it will be difficult to
translate anyway, but you've chosen the wrong meaning for
{lup}. It also means "second (of time)". Your hint was that the
word is in a position where you would expect a noun instead of
a verb for most instances of the word.

> What I translate this to mean is:
>   Transport everyone, you live!

Very much live all seconds
[literally "all of seconds" or "second's all"]

>   while one transport
while one second happens

>   one ten thousand live(people) live[many]

Ummm. I think this one may have gotten a little scrambled over
time. I'll avoid guessing at what the wording was supposed to
be, but I think it was supposed to combine with the previous
line to say, "While one second happens, ten thousand lives are
lived." My way to say that after listening to David's
explanation of the sentiment he wishes to convey might be:

bIyIntaHvIS yIyInqu' jay'!
qaStaHvIS wa' lup
wa'netlh yInmey DayInjaj!

I'm sure it doesn't fit the poetic meter he wanted, but maybe
he likes the phrasing? What do you say, David?

> ---
> Ron Whittle                       [email protected]

charghwI'

Back to archive top level