tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 19 00:13:12 1994

Re: SkyBox card SP3

>From: "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>
>Date: Tue, 16 Aug 94 11:47:38 EDT

>According to Coz:
>>
>> 'ejyo' luch rurbe'qu' tlhingan Duj luch.  HoS law'qu luch law'qu' je lo' Duj
>> nuH pat je.

>I'm a little puzzled by this last {je}. One presumes that {nuH
>pat} is a noun-noun possessive construction: "weapon's system"
>and not just two nouns joined by a conjunction: "weapon and
>system". I would have expected {nuH pat Hub pat je} here, with
>the possible plural suffix on both instances of {pat}, though
>that is certainly not a given.

Yeah... I wondered about that one too.  Couldn't find what was being
conjoined.

>> motlh ray' luSamlaHmeH De' Qatlh cha' tlhingan Duj jIH'a'.

>nuq? Is he using {motlh} as an adverbial? That is what the
>English translation suggests. Otherwise, we must assume that he
>screwed up the word order and meant "usual targets", which even
>for Okrand is a waaaaay loose translation of the English. In
>fact, it is just plain different-to-the-point-of-being-wrong. I
>think this is canon for the use of {motlh} as an adverbial
>meaning "usually". The rest of the sentence is a little
>strange, but not beyond the bounds of Okrand speaking Klingon.
>Again, it is far better than ST5, so things are looking up.

Looks that way!  Either that or it's the long-awaited sentence-as-subject
canon, which I don't believe.  I'm going to be a little cautious about
using it for now, until we hear a little better, but it makes sense; motlh
would be a very useful adverbial.  Then again, we already have pIj; maybe
Okrand forgot about it and made an adverbial out of motlh in error (in
which case we're stuck with it anyway).  It would be *really* nice if we
had a nice construction that made sentences function adverbially...

><charghwI'

~mark

Back to archive top level