tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 18 01:36:08 1994

Re: KKB:SIvqu'wI' WIjwI'

According to Joel Anderson:

> Oh well.... as I said, I was in a goofy mood, and dashed this off (and
> to pieces, I guess).  I just thought it might be fun to try a limited
> vocabularly thing, like a Kid's book, therefore KKB, Klingon Kid's
> Books.

Sorry to have damaged a perfectly good mood. I was just
confused by what you wrote, and I was not entirely right in all
of my attempt to figure out what you were saying.

> tlhIngan Hol
> ------------
>  ghotvam ghaH wIjwI''e'
>  QaQqu'ta' *monkey*Hom 'ach pIch ghaj
>  	SIvqu'ta'
>
> DIvI' Hol (still from memory; I have to look it up)
> ------------
> This is George.
> He was a good little monkey, but he had one fault.
> He was too curious.
>

> >{Doch} could be the noun "thing" or the verb "be rude".  {ghaH}
>
> Okay, changed it to ghot, person.  This is a problem
> in Kids books - are animals things or people?

I suspect that among Klingons, George would be a thing, since
he would likely not be considered a being capable of langauge.
The sentence then becomes {Dochvam 'oH wIjwI''e'}. It would be
even BETTER, if we had better guidance from Okrand on how to
say, "This thing is called George." The verb {pong} is not a
friendly beast and we could use some canon showing us exactly
how to use it. It requires two nouns in apposition, and we have
very little canon to go by on how to do this.

I will suggest that if you are going to present Klingon text
and make special use of a word like {wIjwI'} to mean "George",
it is better to do that BEFORE the text instead of AFTER it. It
will help your readers considerably.

WE WANT TO READ WHAT YOU WRITE. We VALUE what you write. That's
why we raise a bit of a fuss if you do things that frustrate
our efforts to decypher your messages. Try to recognize that
this is not a slam against your character. It is a statement of
value for your contributions. Okay?

> >If {wIvwI'} is "my choice"
> arrgggh again - typo city.  wIjwI' <- Farmer <- "George"

Because Klingon is such a concise language and none of us have
enough context to figure out what you are saying, typos totally
destroy your message. If we had context, it would be less
important.

> > mean, "The diminutive monkey had accomplished being very good,
> > but he blames." The second clause feels a little incomplete.
>
> No - I have pIch as a verb and noun.  "pIch ghaj"->"a fault he has"

You are right. I missread {ghaj} as another {ghaH}. HIvqa'
veqlargh...

> Anyway the whole thing was a lighthearted attempt to dash off
> the beginning of "Curious George" by H.A. Rey.  I've even
> sketched a cute bumpy headed monkey with a sword.

Neato.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level