tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 17 22:56:09 1994

Re: KLBC: Re: rI' nobmey nobw...

According to [email protected]:

> I believe "I love you" is said jIH bang SoH.
>
> confirmations anyone?

No. {bang} is a NOUN and NOT a VERB. As such, you are listing a
noun between two pronouns. It can't work as a possessive
construct (noun-noun) because we use possessive suffixes on
nouns whenever a pronoun is the possessor. In other words, I
don't say "My ship" as {jIH Duj}. Instead, I say {DujwIj}. I
don't say "His ship" as {ghaH Duj}. Instead, I say {DujDaj}.

If you want to use {bang} to express love, the nearest you can
get is to say either {banwI' SoH} or {banglI' jIH}. "You are my
love," or "I am your love." {bang} means "love, one who is
loved". Okrand is somewhat vague about what he means when he
gives multiple definitions separated by commas, but this
particular one appears to fit his description in TKD on page
79:

"For ease of reference, English entries in the English-Klingon
section of this dictionary begin with the word that the user
would most likely be looking for, even though this may at times
be grammatically incorrect. This first word is, when
appropriate, followed by the correct translation..."

For sake of clarity, you may wish to read the rest of this
section of TKD. For the sake of brevity, I will not list it all
here.

So once again, {bang} is NOT a VERB. Everybody got that?

charghwI'

Back to archive top level