tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 16 05:14:46 1994

Re: Beginning Grammarian Proposal

According to [email protected]:

> Here is a thought:
>
> It seems that being the beginning grammarian is wearing 'em out faster
> than can be tolerated... although they've all done nobly their best, I'm
> concerned that sooner or later, we'll reach a point where there is no one
> who can handle the volume.

That's not quite what is happening. When the idea of a
beginning grammarian first appeared, several people showed
interest. Rather than give the position to one person and leave
the others in the rejection bin, it was decided to rotate the
position. This both gave people who were intermediate level
Klingonists a place to test their metal and intensify their
activity on the list, AND it lessened the committment by making
it temporary, so we DON'T tend to burn out the BGs. I'm sure
that when we finish off the list of BGs, former ones will be
quite ready to sign up again. trI'Qal has certainly expressed
interest in this, and I think Holtej's speedy retirement has
less to do with the Klingon load than his personal life as a
new father with a higher education study load. He'll be back,
believe me.

> Why don't we split up the task?...

That's pretty much what we've done, just by a different plan
than you suggest.

> BTW, this is not a comment on anyone's past or current or future expected
> performance.  Just trying to make everyone's life a little easier.

> DrujIv (who is busily building cities and things, and can't read all the
> cool stuff lately)

Thanks for the thoughts. I think the current rotation is
working okay for now, though certainly, if we run through BGs
and find a lack of fresh talent willing to take it on for a
month or two, we should consider other systems.

charghwI' - who hasn't quite started yet...

Back to archive top level