tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 14 10:03:10 1994

Re: KLBC: Re: rI' nobmey nobw...

Bryanvo':

>     I went back an looked at the origional I was typing from; I had indeed
> left out a few {'} here and there. {jagpu} and {So'} were typos.  I was
> writing at 3 am local and got sloppy.

Been there; done that!  {{{:)

>   As for {DaHaD}, I thought about using {yIHaD}, but the sense I was trying
> to convey was less an order than advice; (You should) as opposed to (You
> will!).

When you include the source of your translation, it's always a
catch-22.  If there's a problem with your translation, we can go to
the English and get a sense of what it _should_ be.  But, if you have
an intentional digression (as in this case), there's the original
staring us in the face, and we feel compelled to comment.

But, consider.  If I say, "Eat your vegetables; they're good for you."
The imperative accounts for the subject, non-spoken "you"; not for the
auxiliary.  Thus, I think both "will" and "should" fit in fine.  If I
say "You eat your vegetables," it either sounds slang, or like a
proud grandmother: "you are such a good grandson: you eat your
vegetables!"

{DaHaD} means "you study it."  If you are going for the meaning of
"(You should) Study it," I'd still use the imperative prefix.
Remember, Klingon doesn't have auxiliaries, and it takes some context
to distill the appropriate English translation from a Klingon phrase.
So, you might want to think more about exactly what it is you are
trying to say in Klingon, and re-word to get the right meaning.

>   {HaDIbaHmey}.  Permit me to bang my head on the floor for a while.

Why?  Because you didn't use a plural marker?  Or because my sentences
were complex?  Don't torture yourself (unless you're preparing for a
Rite of Ascension, or something).  Klingon is, in some ways, tough,
because it's very unlike English.  Once you get into it a bit more,
you'll start to see that it's very cuspy.

> I will have to look over your versions of these two phrases for a bit.  I
> have no one else to practice on and these will be invaluble.

You _do_ have us; that's what this list is here for.  We learn from
each other.

> Qapla'!

'ej SoHvaD je!

> Bryan