tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 13 07:50:07 1994

Re: back-translation revisited

> To be honest, the Klingon I finished with is more expressive; the
> translation forced me to enrich the very concept. The Hol version has
> grown on me, and the quick sketch of the tattoo I'm designing looks
> *great* with the glyphs! It seems that the limitations the Dictionary
> gives us are exactly what make Klingon powerful. You *have* to describe
> the picture in your head. All of the shortcuts in a language with more
> bells and whistles often let you get away from the *picture*!
>
> Geno

I don't know that I believe the veracity of this statement, but I surely
like the sentiment.  Throw off the shackles of your native language
heritage and take up the weapons of the warriors' tongue.

Golly Geno, I find you've inspired me!

Lawrence

Back to archive top level