tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 13 03:56:10 1994

back-translation revisited

Here's the fallout from that translation request...

---------
"William H. Martin" <[email protected]> said:

    > 	tIqwIj luwav qo'mey law'
    "Many worlds divide my heart." Well said, if that's what you were
    trying to say.

Thank you. That is exactly what I was trying to say.

---------
"d'Armond Speers" <[email protected]> said:

    > ... see if chaH ("y'all" :-)) can help me ...
    Um, {tlhIH} is "you (plural)" and {chaH} is "they/them."

HIvqa' veqlargh! I read my margin note about "language capable", and
somehow confused language capable/incapable with singular/plural!

    > 	tIqwIj luwav qo'mey law'
    "Many worlds divide my heart."

---------
Having gotten the same translation from two reliable sources, and no
objections, I'll consider that part done.

Originally, I wanted to say simply "divided heart". That looks good (or
short, anyway) in English with the verb as adjective concept (a "gerund"
or "participle", I think, but I always forget), but is not so elegant in
Klingon. I'm re-reading TKD now, in preparation for a larger translation
project, but I'm sure I'm missing something. Is there something more
direct than the "someone/something divides a heart" construction for
"divided heart"? This gerund/participle/whatever-noun usage is common
enough that's it's frustrating when the Dictionary has "divide" and not
"divided, be divided".

To be honest, the Klingon I finished with is more expressive; the
translation forced me to enrich the very concept. The Hol version has
grown on me, and the quick sketch of the tattoo I'm designing looks
*great* with the glyphs! It seems that the limitations the Dictionary
gives us are exactly what make Klingon powerful. You *have* to describe
the picture in your head. All of the shortcuts in a language with more
bells and whistles often let you get away from the *picture*!

Geno

--
  . EuGene Tramaglino   .  House Tramaglino   .  Ad Astra Per Aspera   .

Back to archive top level