tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 13 05:09:49 1994

Re: back-translation revisited

> Here's the fallout from that translation request...
>
> ---------
> Having gotten the same translation from two reliable sources, and no
> objections, I'll consider that part done.

Nice to hear you consider me a reliable source!

> This verb-as-noun thing is common
> enough that's it's frustrating when the Dictionary has "divide" and not
> "divided, be divided".

Okay, what does "be divided" mean?  In English, it's in the passive
voice, and the subject is unspecified.  You could say, for example,
the heart is divided (by worlds).  In Klingon, if you are satisfied
with the unspecified subject (as with an English passive and no "by"
phrase), then use {-lu'}.  {tIqwIj wavlu'}, which one could translate
as "my heart is divided." Of course, now you can't use a subject.
This is not meant to be a suggestion for your translation above, which
is very nice as it stands; just a comment on your search for "be
divided."

> Geno

--Holtej

Back to archive top level