tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 12 02:15:37 1994

transliteration

>So, to summarize:  marked transliteration is discouraged but acceptable.
>Unmarked transliteration is unkosher.

>Also:  when one does use the direct english of a word, one is encouraged
>to quote it, so that people can instantly see it isn't tlhIngan-Hol.  >Thus:

>chay' "Gloucester"vo' "Halifax"Daq ghoSlu'?

>                --Captain Krankor, Grammarian

This is all very good points on not making bare transliteration. But I have
to ask "quotes?" Why quotes? Quotes are kind of messy because if put right
next to the apostrophe, representing the glottal stop, they are difficult to
analyze.

That's my opinion. I use [] when I use English words in Klingon text, {} when
I use Klingon words in English text, ** when I use Klingonized names in
Klingon text, and <> when I use quotes in Klingon. And of course I resort to
a . between Klingon sentences, but don't like using ,s. These are all my own
personal conventions. Other people have their own methods. The punctuation
isn't all that important.

Anyhow, since marked transliterations are acceptable I'll use them, only if
the word is widely familiar; I don't like mixing Klingon text with English
names. But if the word is not likely to be immediately caught, I'll use the
English spelling.

Ok?

Guido*

Back to archive top level