tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 09 21:54:48 1994

Re: Quenya phrase

I had written the following (and my memory of the line from Tolkien says
we're talking about only a single star, but it is ten or more years since
I read it, but that's why I use Hov and not Hovmey)

     qIHtaHghachmaj rep bochbejjaj Hov

> [charghwI' rubs his hands together and salivates at the
> invitation...]
>
> Now, as to the verb {boch}, it really doesn't sound very
> transitive in TKD. I know that transitivity is yet another
> thing Okrand is very vague about, but to me "shine, be shiny"
> feels a lot like it just works with a subject and no object. I
> could see stretching things to say {bochmoHbejjaj}, as in "The
> stars cause the hour of our initial meeting to be shiny." I
> think that has to do, since we don't have a verb for
> "illuminate", which is what we mean by "shine on". A better
> choice might be {wovmoHbejjaj}, since it has fewer implications
> about color and texture.
>
> maqIHtaHvIS rep wovmoHbejjaj Hovmey.

Yeah, I gave this some thought too. I suppose deep in my heart I agree
that boch is probably intransitive, and I was focusing too much on the
English to get the meaning of "shine" that I wanted. I thought about
using wovmoH, in fact I thought of it before searching out boch, but I
didn't like it (I forget the reasoning now). Sigh...

> [charghwI' is stricken by the image of small, well-armed
> individuals with pointy ears, fuzzy toes and ridged
> foreheads... and shudders.]
>
> charghwI'

Okay, here it is, the funniest thing I said at the conference about the
difference between the popularity of Klingon versus that of Elvish:

You go to conventions and you're likely to see lots of people in Klingon
uniform.  Some might even poke you with a painstick. But I've never been
to any con where I'd encountered an elven lord strutting around wielding
a ring of power. It's just not done.

Lawrence

Back to archive top level