tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 07 22:02:38 1994

KLBC: Re: About me

**KLBC**

As the Beginner's Grammarian, I'd like to welcome ghor to the list,
and I hope he finds this a suitable place for a Klingon.

> nuqneH

nuqneH, and welcome!

> rI'Se'vamDaq jIchu'
> tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhlaH neH 'ach jInIDlaH

With {neH} there, your sentence means "I can only say {tlhIngan Hol},
but I can try."  The problem comes with your placement of {neH}.  It
is the verb that means "want," but it is also an adverbial that means
"only."  And, unlike most other adverbials, it follows the noun it
modifies.  If you want to to say, "I want to be able to speak Klingon,"
then you need to add a prefix to {neH}:

tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhlaH vIneH

This was a very difficult sentence, and you only made this one mistake!
majQa'!

> QaghmeywIj tIlughneS
> Riku mupong juppu'wI'

I would generally avoid the use of {pong} as a verb, because it's
a rather complicated construct, but if I were to use it, this is
exactly the way I would do it!  Your sentence is, in my eyes, perfect,
but I just had to comment on it!  By choosing the prefix {mu-} on
{pong}, you are indicating the object "me."  Thus, {Riku} in that
position in the sentence is not a (direct) object, but one of those
"other" objects that comes before the direct object (TKD 6.1)

> loD tIQ loD Qup je jIH 'ej pIj DaQ vItuQ> "Finland"vo' jIghItlh

> I don't think I'm capable of much more. TKD is my only resource and I'm
> merely a beginner.

May be, but you use the grammar well!  A nice introductory post, some
pretty complex sentences, and only one minor mistake, and one that I
could easily make, too (omitting a prefix).

> The word Riku means "yIghor", but due to it's imperative nature
> (and quite a dim meaning) I don't think it could serve as a Klingon name.

I'm not sure I understand.  If "Riku" means "yIghor," and "yIghor" is in
the imperative, then isn't "Riku" also in the imperative?  If an
imperative is suitable as a name in Finnish, why would it not be
suitable in Klingon?

> However, after noticing that some Klingon names, like qor and Qugh, have
> a meaning, (and judging from their meaning) I guess "ghor" would be a fine
> name for a Klingon. Unless you think otherwise, you can call me with that
> name. (Not that I plan to write a lot, I'm mostly observing.)

{ghor} is a fine name; just check out some of the names on this list, mine
notwithstanding!  Generally, we frown upon the creation of new words,
coining new compounds, etc., because it decreases the use of the language.
Unless we agree on what the new words are, then we cannot communicate.
But with names, it's pretty much open season, and the result is clear:
many colorful, sometimes meaningful, Klingon names!

Welcome aboard, and I look forward to seeing more posts from you in
Klingon!

.:ghor:.

--Holtej, the Beginner's Grammarian

Back to archive top level