tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 06 10:13:11 1994

Re: Names in tlhIngan Hol

According to Heidi Wessman:

> Now, I've been wondering about names.  Most of us have Klingon names, but
> I've never bothered to look them up.  I'd be interested in finding out
> why everyone chose the names they did.

When I was a child, I was "Billy", but when I went to college,
I wanted something a litle more adult, so I became "Bill",
though I never liked it much because it was too blunt for my
personality and besides, it was my father's name, and while he
died when I was nine, it was STILL *HIS* name and I wanted my
own. That's when I saw "William" become "Will I am", and I've
been Will ever since.

So when I tried to make a Klingon name, I ran into the wall
that my favorite part of being "Will" is the sense of volition
carried by the verb of that name, Klingon has no verb "to be"
and no future tense, so I can't be the future tense of the verb
"to be", which is what "will" is. My search continued.

"William, the Conqueror". charghwI'

Tadaaaaaaa!

charghwI'

QaQ pongvam qara'?