tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 01 23:29:55 1994

Re: charghwI Story

charghwI' has written a stunning bit of prose in tlhIngan Hol,
and I wanted to make some comments on it.  I will not address any
matters of grammar, since that is clearly beyond the purview of
the Beginner's Grammarian, and certainly not my intent anyway.

Given brief glimpses of charghwI''s skill at composing complex
grammatical thoughts with eloquence and Klingonesque brevity,
the members of this list took him to task and practically
demanded longer compositions.  charghwI' does not disappoint!
Reading this (twice) original passage of his, I am stunned
at nearly every sentence for his clever, nay, poetic use
of the language.  The sentence which struck me with the most
force is to be found in the third paragraph: {cha' Dovammey [sic]
joj rur Sor Do}.  Not for the power of the message, but the
power of the use of language.

The next paragraph (4) also had a strong impact on me, probably
because I was able to read it without having to look up vocabulary
(maybe, one or two words)!

Before the final paragraph, charghwI' muses about the difficulty
of saying "not need to begin to possess" in a manner distinct from
"begin to not need to possess" (where he intended the latter).
He gives us {ghajchoHnISbe'} [sic].  I suggest that the correct
ordering of the suffixes provides a clear solution: {ghajnISbe'choH}.
For the other, "not need to begin to possess," a clearer attempt
might be a bit more wordy: {ghaj 'e' taghnISbe'} (taking a liberal
interpretation of {tagh}).

charghwI', you were concerned about persisting grammatical errors:
there are precious few.  In this brief bit of text, you have
demonstrated not only a clear command and understanding of
tlhIngan Hol, but also your ability to use it creatively and
with power.  tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI' nIv SoH.

--Holtej

Back to archive top level