tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 28 01:03:01 1994

Re: KBTP: "When..." How?

Marshall Levin helpfully writes in response to my question:

 > >> got a quick and no doubt easy question for the assembly.  How do you
 > >> render "When"?  For example "and when ye spread forth your hands...";
 > >> I suppose I ought to go look at the Hebrew to see if there is a
 > >> simpler way to say that - I've been using 'poHDaq', as 'at-the-time',
 > >> rendering the above as "poHDaq jIHDaq ghopDu'raj pep tlhIH".
 >

 > The Hebrew is generally rendered with an infinitive absolute, translating
 > roughly as "as his [verb]ing" or "in his [verb]ing".  What is the specific
 > passage?  I'd be curious to look it up...

Isaiah 1:15 "and when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you..."

[yes, I use the KJV for my *own* reference, although our charter in
the KBTP is that the RSV is the 'base' translation to use.  Mainly
because I appreciate the KJV preservation of singular/plural AND
because I have machine readable copies of the biblical books in KJV.]

"We all appear as dunces when feigning an interest in things we care
nothing about."   CS Lewis
              [email protected]  | GEnie:j.anderson71