tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 28 00:39:56 1994

KBTP: Psalm 23 revisited; pIn tIn

Working as Glen's Internet Scribe again, I'm sharing Glen's pass at
the 23rd Psalm.  Once again - feel free to ascribe any egregious
errors or spelling or punctuation to my feeble grasp of typing skills
and/or Klingon.  All praise and glory goes to Glen, a.k.a.  pIn tIn.
As I am able I will cheerfully pass the f/l/a/m/e/s/ constructive and
insightful thoughts of the 'net assembly to Glen.  [and yes, Glen now
knows of Mark's translation which I have passed on to him].

   --------------------------

		       PSALM 23: bomghom quv 23

	tlhejwI' ghaH joH'a' 'e'.  not jIneHbe'.  yotlhmey SuDDaq
muQotchoHmoH.  bIQ tam retlhDaq muDev.  qa'wIj yInqa'moH.  teH
HemeyDaq muDev.  pongDajvaD ta'.  Hegh QIb ngechDaq jIyItchugh je,
vay' mIgh jIHvIpbe' chotlhejmo'.  mutulmoH naQlIj QaHlIj je.  SaHDI'
jaghpu'wI' jIHvaD nay' Davut.  nachwIj DayIQmoHmeH bIQ le' Dalo'.
naQqu' HIvje'wIj.  yInwIjDaq Hoch jajmey mutlha'bej QaQtaHghach pung
je 'ej reH joH'a' juHDaq jIyIntaH.

I felt compelled to change the imagery somewhat because Klingons have
neither sheep nor shepherds and I don't know how comforted we would
feel by a targh-herd.  I deliberately used jIHvIpbe' even though I
could have avoided it, because I feel Klingonists have to face the
issue squarely.  This means "I am not afraid", NOT
"I am not afraid to be" as many Klingonists claim.  I could have said
jIghomvIpbe', but I don't want to pussyfoot around the central issue.
I also deliberately chose QaQtaHghach not only  because "the state of
continual goodness" is what is being implied here, but because I
consider *QaQghach to be phoney Klingon, as I'm sure everybody is
aware of by now.  Thy rod and thy staff is an instance of Hebrew
parallelism we can't duplicate in Klingon because naQ is all we've got,
so I stuck in QaHlij: thy help so we could preserve some kind of
parallelistic structure.  'comfort' is also tough, so I made it "give
me hope".  "every day" is something which I've puzzled about and it
seems to me that we can take a cue from the Romance languages and say
"all the days" which is the way Psalm 23 reads anyway.  'table'
actually refers to the food on the table, a meal so the choice was
between 'uQ and nay'.  Perhaps 'uQ would have been more in keeping
with Psalm 23.  Psalms I thought best translated as "a collection of
honored songs."  This is probably not the first attempt to translate
Psalm 23, but I haven't seen any others and this is my contribution.
Have at it.
        pIn tIn.   (Glen Proechel)

    __--__
   '      `