tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 14 03:49:20 1994

Re: KLBC: HoghwIj

*** BEGINNER ***

Do'valvo':

>jIDoy'qu'
>muQatlh Hoghvam
>rInlaw' paq
>ghIQ cha' jaj jIleS vIneHbej
>'ach Qu'mey le'be' vIrInmoH
>tugh rInmoH bIQ 'e' vItul
>chaq QongmeH jaj QaQ 'oH DaHjaj'e'

jIghIQnISqu' je.
naDev jabbI'IDmey law' vIlI'nISbogh vIghaj.
DujoywIjDaq vIvumnIS je.
QapHa'lI' DujwIj De'wI'.
vItI'lI'.
tugh De'wI'na' Da De'wI'Hey.
DuSaQDaq jIQapmeH jIHaDnIS je.
HIja', jIHvaD Qatlh je Hoghvam.

'ej reH Qonglu'meH jaj QaQ 'oH DaHjaj'e'. {{;)

Nice post!  I just need to make a few corrections...

I am not going to say your second line is *wrong* (although my insteincts tell
me to..), because this touches on one of those Greatly Debated Topics:  the
transitivity of verbs.  What you have there translates to "This week is
difficult me."  That may or may not be valid Klingon.  If you want to avoid
the issue, try using a no-object prefix on the verb, and put the appropriate
pronoun with -vaD attached at the beginning, like so:

	jIHvaD Qatlh Hoghvam

Make sense?

Your fourth line had a real big boo-boo.  <ghIQ> is not a noun meaning
"vacation"; it is a verb meaning "to take a vacation."  I am not certain you
can use -ghach on it, either, because that would nominalize to the taking of a
vacation... if you understand that.  Or so I would interpret it.  I would be
safe and use the verb as a verb:

	qaStaHvIS cha' jaj, jIleSmeH jIghIQnIS
	"I need to take a vacation in order to relax, for two days."

In the third-to-last line, you used -be' on a verb you were using
adjectivally.  Technically, this is a no-no, but most of us ignore it.
(Including me, I admit.)  I would have either used -Ha', which is generally
more acceptible on adjectival verbs, or better still, put the -be' on the main
verb, like so:

	'ach Qu'mey le' vIrInmoHbe'

Very nice use of <rIn>, by the way!  However, you fudged it in the next
line... <rIn> means "to be accomplished," so you don't have to use the -moH
there.  IT also took me a long time to realize that you typoed in that line as
well.  <bIQ> is "water."  I think you wanted <bIH>, "they (non-speaking)"?

Except for the error with <bIQ>/<bIH>, I didn't have any problems
understanding what you were trying to say.  This is good.  {{:)

Translations:
I also need to take a vacation.
I have many transmissions which I nee to send here.
I need to work on my ship, too.
My ship's computer isn't working right.
I am fixing it.
Soon it will work as it should.
I also need to study for school.
Yes, this week is rough on me, too.

And it is always a good day to sleep. :)

--HoD trI'Qal

Back to archive top level