tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 11 22:38:57 1994

Re: {lab} vs. {lI'} in ST3

HoD Qanqorvo':
     *    *    *

Oh, and for the record:  At least here in the datacomm world,
"download" generally means to send and "upload" to receive.
charghwI' (and possibly others) had it the other way around, though
the usage is not strict and, lacking context, the potential for
confusion is large.

     *    *    *
I don't know, then, what "world" I'm in; possibly the "small
remote users" world.  I "upload" a file *to* a BBS or Internet
location, and "download" a file *from* a BBS or Internet
location.  The metaphor seems to be that "up" is bigger or more
important or more central.  If your datacomm world is one of
designing or administering systems that are used more as
servers and repositories of data than as clients and
collectors/users, then in the metaphor I'm used to, your point of
view is "higher": when someone like me is sending, you are
receiving, and we both see the data as flowing "up"; and vice
versa (I receive, you send, flow is "down").

- tlhIngan veQbeq la'Hom marqem

                         Mark A. Mandel
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
  320 Nevada St. :  Newton, Mass. 02160, USA : [email protected]

Back to archive top level