tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 11 20:08:06 1994

Re: {lab} vs. {lI'} in ST3

On Mon, 11 Apr 1994, d'Armond Speers wrote:

> Krankorvo':
>
> > Oh, and for the record:  At least here in the datacomm world,
> > "download" generally means to send and "upload" to receive.
> > charghwI' (and possibly others) had it the other way around, though
> > the usage is not strict and, lacking context, the potential for
> > confusion is large.
>
> Er, em, what?  In my entire short-but-computer-filled-life, I've
> always associated download/receive and upload/send.  At least the
> makers of Procomm agree with me: I use PgDn to download (receive)
> files, and PgUp to upload (send) files.
>
> Maybe the perspective is different if you're not on a PC, but on a
> workstation.  I wouldn't know.  What do you mean by "datacomm" ?
>
> >                 --Krankor
>
> --Holtej

Yeah, I'm with Holtej on this one - just look around an ftp site - you'll
find an upload subdirectory where everyone dumps their submissions.
However, I can see why the words could be interpreted the other way.

	John

             ********    | "He's very English.  If he goes over the edge, the
*********   **********   | worst outward sign will probably be that his
    *        ********    | grammar will deteriorate."
      ********           | 	_Timetrap_ (David Dvorkin)

e-mail : [email protected]

SUREFIRE SIGNS THAT STAR TREK IS TAKING OVER YOUR LIFE:
     1.  Saying "make it so" in casual conversation

Back to archive top level