tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 11 07:43:54 1994

Re: {lab} vs. {lI'} in ST3

charghwI'vo':

>Valkris: {HablI' Su' lab'egh} [subtitle: Ready to transmit.]
>Lip movement mapping: Habli' - Ready, Su' - to, lab'egh - transmit.
>Again, the needs of the lip movements dictated a lot, forcing
>this unusual way to express "Ready to transmit." A more literal
>translation would be, "The transmitter is ready to transmit
>itself."

I'm unconvinced.  It sure sounded like labbeH to me, and I'm
reluctant to give up on that cuz it's the only canonical usage of
-beH that I'm aware of.

>    The point of this is that Valkris is speaking and she is
>about to upload/send her information to Kruge. She uses the
>verb {lab}.

Ok...

>    Two lines later, Kruge commands his communications officer
>to download/receive the data:
>
>Kruge: De' yIlI' [Transmit data.]

Ok, this is the line I had forgotten.  Unfortunately, I'm not so
sure it is too illuminating.  Again, I'm unconvinced by the
argument.  Oh, the transcription is fine, what I feel is up in the
air is:  to whom is this order being given?  I had always thought he
was ordering Valkris, not his communications officer.  If he's
ordering Valkris, then we know basically nothing, and it looks most
strongly like they (lab and lI') are pretty synonymous.  On the
other hand, if he is indeed ordering his own officer, you have a
case.  I still haven't gone back and watched the tape again, I have
been quite remiss.

But in any case, if it is indeed the case that he is talking to his
officer, and therefore lI' means to upload/receive, then the TKD
definition of "transmit data (to a place)" is wholly bogus.  There's
absolutely NO way to derive upload/receive from that definition.

Oh, and for the record:  At least here in the datacomm world,
"download" generally means to send and "upload" to receive.
charghwI' (and possibly others) had it the other way around, though
the usage is not strict and, lacking context, the potential for
confusion is large.

                --Krankor

Back to archive top level