tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 10 07:59:22 1994

Re: KLBC: qajatlh

charghwI'vo':

>>         tlhIngan Hol vIghojtaHmo', vIHem.
>>         "Because I am continuing to learn Klingon, I am proud"
>> --HoD trI'Qal
>
>     Good. I'd like to add another possible version of this:
>
>            tlhIngan Hol vIghojtaH 'e' vIHem
>          "I am proud that I am learning Klingon language."

I seriously considered offering this for a while.  However, I realized that
this bumps into the "Transitivity Question," one of those ages-old debates.  I
felt it would have been inappropriate to offer this, because both my Klingon
and my English insticts tell me this is *wrong*.  I think someone mentioned
this later.  I also didn't want to start up a transitivity debate again.

>     When I saw the original, I thought this was what the original intent of
>the message, but the speaker just dropped the {'e'} pronoun. Noting the
>exceptional cases {neH, jatlh, ja'} without mentioning the sentence-as-object
>construction may prove to be confusing, since it doesn't give a new student a
>place to look to understand why it would have made any difference to have
>used those verbs (TKD 6.2.5).

Yes and no.  The point was to get students to re-read that section, and say
"Ah!  Even if there are two verbs in my English sentence, there will always be
a noun or prounoun before the verb in the Klingon, unless it is one of these
few verbs."  They don't even have to understand sentence-as-object to grasp
that.  In any case, if you want to debate this further, it goes off the KLBc.

--HoD trI'Qal

Back to archive top level