tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 08 03:38:10 1994

Re: Bhagavad, Part 2

Guidovo':
> To me, both {-taH} and {-lI'} describe continuous action. But {-lI'} is
> only used to indicate that the subject is in the process of doing something
> *as part of his/her/its intention*, viz., consciously performing an action.
> {-taH} tends to imply that the subject's intentions are not important or
> that the event is happening without anyone's true intention.
>
> Hope that clears up any uncertainties about {-taH} and {-lI'} with anyone.
>

> Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos

     I went back to TKD 4.2.7 on this and I can't agree with you. It says
that both {-taH} and {-lI'} state that the action of the verb is continuous.
"Unlike {-taH}, however, {-lI'} implies that the activity has a known goal or
a definite stopping point." I don't think this requires intent.

     I see where you are coming from, given that the next sentence in TKD is,
"In other words, it suggests that progress is being made toward that goal."
Still, Okrand was so much more explicit about intent in describing the
difference between {-pu} and {-ta'} in the same section of TKD that I find it
difficult to believe that he would be so weak in expressing that same
difference in the presence or absence of intent between {-taH} and {-lI'}.

     I'm open to other opinions, and will attempt to lean toward your
interpretation of this more now than before you expressed it, but I can't
quite buy into it by your argument alone at this time.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level