tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 07 13:19:53 1994

Re: Bhagavad, Part 2

>     Okay, then how about a little discussion on the difference between
>{-taH} and {-lI'}. I thought {-taH} implied more a sense of continuation
than
>simple imperfective. The sense that there is no specific end to the task
>seemed to be as significant as the sense that the end of the task had not
yet
>been achieved. The progressive, on the other hand, carried the sense that
>there was a specific end to the task, but it had not yet been achieved.

>     Anybody else sense that Klingons tend to be somewhat goal oriented
>through their language?

>charghwI'

Yes. They do seem to have a small obsession with distinguishing intents from
simple events.

To me, both {-taH} and {-lI'} describe continuous action. But {-lI'} is only
used to indicate that the subject is in the process of doing something *as
part of his/her/its intention*, viz., consciously performing an action.
{-taH} tends to imply that the subject's intentions are not important or that
the event is happening without anyone's true intention.

Hope that clears up any uncertainties about {-taH} and {-lI'} with anyone.

Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos

Back to archive top level