tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 07 04:49:14 1994

Re: KLBC: qajatlh

On Apr 7,  4:20pm, "trI'Qal" wrote:
> >pa' 'oH vIlI'laH.
> >nuqDaq DaneH 'e' choja'.
>
> Ewwww!  I don't like that last sentence... primarily because it looks like
> it should have an imperative prefix on <ja'>.  I will buy the double-object
> for <ja'>, and the use of nuqDaq, but I would have just simply said:
> nuqDaq DaneH?  Much simpler. {{:)
>

> --HoD trI'Qal

     Also in the penultimate sentence (I love having chances to use
"penultimate" correctly...) I suspect the verb should be {lab}. The
definitions in TKD are confusing, but if you check the usage in ST3, you see
that {lI'} means "download" or "receive" a file, while {lab} means "upload"
or "send" a file. I think the author was offering to upload/send the file to
a place from which the reader could download/receive the file.

     The definitions as stated are {lI'} = "transmit data (to a place)".
Unfortunately, it isn't clear in the definition that the person speaking is
standing at the place to which the data is being transmitted, and so that
person is downloading or receiving the transmission. It is easy to think that
you can transmit data to ANOTHER place and that's {lI'}, but it is not.

     Similarly, {lab} = "transmit data (from a place)" is ambiguous because
again, the person speaking has to be standing at the place from which the
data is being transmitted. You can misinterpret this to mean transmitting
data to ANOTHER place. If you doubt my interpretation of this, watch ST3.

     Aww, what the hell. Watch ST3 ANYWAY. Christopher Lloyd is the best
Klingon actor yet. Nobody else comes close, IMESHO. Except maybe the two
sisters for whom I long, passionately... vIneH 'ej vIneHqu' 'ej vIneHcha'

charghwI'

Back to archive top level