tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 05 01:06:59 1994

Re: List Digests for the UnNetworked

>On Sat, 2 Apr 1994, Elias Israel wrote:
>
>> I think that the idea of writing a book that covered the collected
>> Klingon wisdom from things like this list and HolQeD is a good one,
>> but it would pretty much have to either come from Marc Okrand, or be
>> blessed by him, and would pretty much have to be published by Simon
>> and Schuster.
>
>Reasons?

Well, I don't know this all for a certainty, of course, but it would
be typical for an author/publisher contract to give the author right
of first refusal on new works on the subject, especially if the subject
was likely to sell a large number of books, as Star Trek material often
does. Also, the publisher is likely to defend their turf pretty
aggressively, up to and including the use of legal action, if it thought
it might lose a profitable title to another publisher.

Maybe I should have said it would be easiest for Okrand to write this
book for Simon and Schuster, rather than have implied that it was a
dead certainty.

Eli

Back to archive top level