tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 31 18:27:57 1994

Re: mujatlhmoH nuq jay'

jatlh G#1:

> Anyhoo- {chaH qaqIpmoHta'} for "I cause you to hit them." indeed has merit.
> But I myself might like that particular construction better if it were
> {SoHvaD chaH vIqIpmoHta'}. I'm not the expert. Consult ~mark on this sort of
> construction in Hebrew, or one of the Esperantists around here (and I know
> you must be here somewhere!).

I'll buy {chaH qaqIpmoHta'}, but {SoHvaD chaH vIqIpmoHta'} just doesn't fit
in my ears.

1. If I make someone to hit somebody, then it is rarely for the benefit of
   anybody but me. Thus, {SoHvaD} is completely unapropriate here IMHO.

2. In your sentence the subject from {vI-} goes to causation ("I cause...")
   and the object to root verb {"... to hit them"}. And the object of
   causation, or the subject of the root verb, remains unspecified in the
   verb. This is not consistent with, i.e. {DabochmoH} and most of other
   examples of causatives I have seen. Here we have {Da-} put in
   "*I* cause *it* to be shiny *no object*". So in the same pattern this
   sentence (disregarding the {SoHvaD}) would be translated as
   "*I* cause *them* to hit." Not the intended meaning.

All in IMHO. Hope I'm right. Am I? {{:^)

	Qapla' qoranvo'

Back to archive top level