tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 15 11:07:54 1993

Birthright Song, Dave`s take on it.

>From: "David E G Sturm, Sturm & Drang Inc." <[email protected]>
>Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1993 15:26 CST

>		   mu' ghaH;      toD 'u'

>It is the word; the universe saves.

Hmm!  *Very* interesting poetic usage here, though I'm not sure how it
works in the freer translation.  {ghaH} can mean "it", I suppose, but it's
a *sentient* "it" (like maybe an artificial intelligence or neuter,
sentient alien).  It's not what we'd use "it" for in English (we'd likely
feel strange about calling even neuter sentient aliens "it"; the word in
English simply isn't used to apply to people.  Try using "it" as a
gender-neutral pronoun, if you feel you need one, as in "Everyone should
bring its book", and you'll see it just feels wrong)--Klingon would say
{'oH} for that--and certainly not the indefinite "it" we use so much in
English, for which I don't think even 'oH works.  Looks to me like a form
of personification at work here.  Well, it's a poem, so that makes sense I
guess...

~mark

Back to archive top level