tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 14 15:04:10 1993

Birthright Song, Dave`s take on it.

Since someone brought up the subject I again, I offer the reconstruction I
have of the song...

			teblaH;        neH ghu
			mu' ghaH;      toD 'u'
			yaj'a';		*qeyoH
			yaj'a';		 qeyoH
			yaj'e';		 qeyoH

Mot-pour-mot translation:
It can fill it; the baby wants it.
It is the word; the universe saves.
||:Greater understanding; let us be brave. :||
This understanding; let us be brave.

Deeper translation:
The youthfulness inside of us seeks of us
	To fill that which resides within.
Exploring the universe shall save us;
	This is the word known to all.
Let us be brave and find great understanding.
Let us be brave and find great understanding.
This understanding shall find we are brave.

I`m forced to admit I have had to make a small addition using *qe- as a verb
prefix for the missing [we- imperative] rendered as Let Us X in English.  I
figure that the meaning in Modern Klingon is poetic, and that this prefix is
no longer active.

In listening to the song, (and having studied voice once long ago) I can
relate that glottal stops would be omitted when singing (to prevent choking!),
and that final H might tend to evanesce into the Black Fleet.

Oops, I just noticed.  In line 1 of the Deeper translation, omit the last two
words `of us`.  I goofed and repeated it.

I understand that everyone seems to have just concluded that the song is not
Klingon, but I do not think that is the solution we should accept.  All
Klingon appearing on the screen should be taken as real.  This was *the*
guiding premise that Marc Okrand used.  We should try the same.

Qapla'!    ghojmoHwI' DavID.

Back to archive top level