tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 10 15:03:12 1993

Babel.

Heya all.  I had a few minutes to play with recently and decided to try my
hand at this.  It was easier than I'd feared.  I had to take some liberties
with words to translate, and leave out part of a sentence, but it's pretty
much right.  Read it carefully, some of the grammar may be hairy.  I hope
you can guess what it is...  It has some importance to supporters of
constructed languages.

To John Cowan, if you're here, in answer to the question you'll likely ask:
because Klingon is more forgiving, or at least I'm more fogiving of myself
when I write it, so it was *much* easier.

Sorry for the opacity, I'm feeling extremely cryptic today.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
wa' Hol mu'mey puS je neH ghaj qo' Hoch.
"Kedem"vo' ghoSDI' "Shinar" wo'Daq/puHDaq ngech lutu'pu' 'ej pa' yIn.
'ej ja'chuq <<naghmey DIchenmoHjaj 'ej qulDaq DItujmoHjaj>>.
[...]
'ej ja'chuq <<veng qach'a'(?) je DIchenmoHjaj, 'ej chal SIch nachDaj.
qo' HochDaq maghomHa'be'meH (maghomHa'meHbe'??) noyghach wISuqjaj.>>
'ej veng'e' qach'a''e' je chenmoHpu'bogh loDpu' leghmeH jotlh'egh joH'a'.
'ej ja' joH'a' <<wa' qorDu''a'(?) wa' Hol je neH ghaj chaH Hoch,
'ej Dochvam luta'lI'! DaH pagh lunabbogh temlu'.
jIjotlh'egh 'ej latlh Hol yajbe'meH wa' Holchaj vImISmoH.>>
'ej pa'vo' qo' HochDaq ghomHa'moH joH'a'; 'ej veng luchenmoH 'e' lumev.
Dochvammo' pong Daqvetlh 'oH "Babel"'e', Hol qo' Hoch mISmoHmo' joH'a',
'ej pa'vo' qo' HochDaq ghomHa'moH joH'a'.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Not sure whether {wo'} or {puH} is better in the second line.  The more I
think about it, the better I like {qach'a'} in the fifth.
{maghomHa'meHbe'} is probably an excellent use of the roving nature of
{-be'} to indicate "that not" or "lest" (oops, mustn't give it away!), but
I wasn't positive about it.  {qorDu'a'} was a stab at "people" in the
singular sense (i.e. "tribe", etc.)

Note on {qo' Hoch}, etc.  I think this is probably the right way to say
things like "all the world", since that's really "all *of* the world" or
"the world's all", which leads us right to the noun-noun construction.
Does that mean "you all" should be {Hochraj} (or {Hochra'})?  I don't know,
somehow {?tlhIH Hoch} sounds better to my ear, though I can't defend it.

Actually, this last question is a good one.  Thoughts?

~mark

Back to archive top level