tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 10 14:56:56 1993

Babel and "all-of-them"

I was re-reading what I sent a few minutes ago... I missed a few "-jaj"'s
that really should have been on the tenth line ({jIjotlh'eghjaj 'ej latlh
Hol yajbe'meH wa' Holchaj vImISmoHjaj}).  Also gave some more thought to my
final comment, after noting that {?chaH Hoch} occurred in my translation.
The more I think about it, the more I feel like going back on what I said
and embracing {Hochchaj}.  Reason?  I was thinking about it in Hebrew,
where "all of you/them/us/etc" is expressed by inflecting "all" in
possessives for the appropriate pronoun.  If I can deal with it there, why
should I be postulating exceptions to grammar rules in Klingon to avoid
something similar in Klingon?  Just a-thinking out loud...

~mark

Back to archive top level