tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 10 21:56:23 1993

Re: law'puqpu'

I understand the basic concept of the verb "to be" now and
how to use "'e'" to indicate the subject is not the pronoun.
(i.e. that the pronoum is actually a verb in this case)  I do
have a question regarding Krankor's recasting of my sentence as:

         puqbe' chaH wej puqpu'ma' wa'DIch'e'

It seems to me that it should be:

         puqbe' chaH wa'DIch wej puqpu'ma''e'

Since the subject of the sentence is "children", not "first".
I also noted that Krankor reordered the subject and supporting
modifiers.  I do not understand why.  I think the basic problem
I have is in dealing with adjectives.  I know that the TKD states:

  There are no adjectives as such in klingon.  Those notions
  expressed as adjectives in English are expressed by verbs
  in Klingon. [p. 49 section 4.4]

However, in the sentence "Our first three children were girls", at
least one of the words "Our", "first", or "three" is an adjective
in the sense that it modifies the noun children.  How is it handled?

Matt Whiteacre
[email protected]

Back to archive top level