tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 10 13:26:19 1993

law' puqpu'

>From: "Matthew Whiteacre" <[email protected]>
>Date: Thu, 9 Sep 93 17:04:14 CDT

>On Thu, 9 Sep 93 16:48:28 -0400, Captain Krankor wrote:

>>>puqbe' wa'DIch wej puqpu'ma'.
>>
>>Huh?  No verb in this sentence.  Translates as:
>>
>> "The first daughter our three children."
>>

>The intension was to say "Our first three children are daughters".  How
>would I say this?

The problem is the lack of a Klingon copula "to be".  According to Section
6.3, a "to be" copula is rendered in Klingon by the appropriate pronoun,
optionally with verb-suffixes, and the "-'e'" flag on the subject.  Thus,
"wej puqma' wa'Dich chaH puqbe''e'" (no need for plural flags here, I
think).

>>>rupjajDaq qoSHeyDaj
>>
>>Again, no verb.  "On tax day her apparent birthday."

>This was to be "Our due date is on tax day".  Again, I could not figure out
>how to put a verb in the sentence?

Similarly, use 'oH.  Not sure you need the -Daq, perhaps "tax day is the
apparent birthday", dropping the "-Daj" as well, so as not to imply that
it's your wife's birthday then.  Unless you want to find another term for
"due date".

~mark

Back to archive top level