tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 03 15:58:34 1993

Re: Names & faces

>     I will comment on the "headplate", however. The KAG in Greensboro, NC
>has what I think are better makeup people. Their ridges are a little more
>convincingly part of their faces, though preparation takes a while, and I'm
>not sure how well it could be done at a campground.

>--   charghwI'

In an incredibly rare move, I shall now drop out of character and
respond to this comment.

It has never been my intention to have perfect makeup.  Indeed, I
use no makeup at all.  I take my off-the-shelf headpiece and put it
on my head, and, voila, I'm a Klingon.  The goal is not to look
perfect, but to look enough the part to create the illusion,
particularly when combined with actual Klingon vocals.  Frankly, I
think this is the better combo.  We had a couple people at the camp
who were seriously into the heavy-duty makeup gig, but it took them
so long to get into it, and was such a monstrously huge production
that they either 1) Were late to events because of it or 2) flat out
missed events because they couldn't get the makeup together in time
or 3) just didn't want to bother with the hassle.  On the other
hand, in order to placate the media, I was often in and out of my
stuff several times a day (it was *way* too hot to stay in it all
day long).  Given that this was a place to have fun being Klingon
and not a costume contest or a Hollywood production, I think mine
was the better compromise.

And, despite the fact that I readily concede that, when the effort
was put forth to do up the whole production, that they did look
quite excellent, the effect was seriously defeated with one of them,
at least, who, lacking any Klingon linguistic skills (or interest in
acquiring them; she didn't take any of the classes at the camp),
would speak only English, (in a heavy southern drawl, no less).  In
my opinion, there are a lot of people who go to the nth degree to
*look* the part who would do better to put *some* of that effort
into *sounding* the part.  (Then again, on this list, I'm probably
preaching to the converted).

Ok, end rantings.  You'll never get me to admit that I said any of
this.  Obviously the truth is that I don't wear any "headplate";
that's just my forehead you see on TV. {{;-)

                        [Proper spelling]       [Media spelling]

                        --Captain Krankor       --Captain Kramkor

                        --HoD Qanqor            --HoD Quanqor

                        --Rich Yampell          --Rich Yempell

Back to archive top level