tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 20 10:18:06 1993

RE: Hos tlhIngan

-
-Sorry to take so long on this, but it's been busy. I'm trying to figure out
-what is going on here, so please help me by correcting my translation.
-
-> Subject: Hos tlhIngan
-"A Klingon is strong."

The intension was to refer to "Power Klingon" (i.e. the new tape)

-> ramjepDaq jIvum 'ej nISghach vIpoQ
-I work at midnight and I require hinderance."?

This was basically my intended meaning if you use disruption rather
than hinderance. (I needed a diversion)

-> wa'leS ghojwI'wIj Ser vIja'nISbej
-"I definitely need to tell my student's progress yesterday."?
-(The student is apparently incapable of using language. Also, I don't really
-understand what you mean by telling the student's progress.)

wa'leS is tomorrow, not yesterday, but I will basically concede the wrong
suffix on ghojwI' (although with some of of them...)  Also the verb ja'
means tell or report.  Thus I had to report the progress of my students.

-> vumghachchaj QaQ
-"His work is good." (I would have said "QaQ vumghachchaj", since the original
-reverse really means "His good work", which isn't really a sentence.)

chaj is the plural third peros possessive.  Thus I said "Thier work is good"

-> wa'maH loS Hu' Hos tlhIngan vISup
-"Fourteen days ago, I jumped a strong Klingon."

I meant to use the verb je' saying:
wa'maH loS Hu' "Power Klingon" vIje'pu'
I have no idea why Sup came out.

-> vIparHa' 'ach Qoypo'mey qab 'e' vItu'
-"I like it, but I find bad 'Qoypo's." (Lots of problems with this one. The
-"'e'" refers to a sentence that isn't there, since "qab" is being used
-adjectivally instead of verbally. I suspect it should preceed Qoypo'mey,
-assuming it is some kind of noun. I could only find "Qoy" as the verb for "to
-hear" and "po'" as "morning" and I can't squash those two together into a
-meaningful noun to pluralize. Whatever it is presumably cannot use
-language...)

first po' is a verb meaning be skilled (e.g. pabpo')
now try:
vIparHa' 'ach Qoypo'wI' qab vItu'

-> ja'chugghach vI'Ij 'ach vIghItlhlaHBe'

-  I'll presume the first word was "ja'chuqghach", since Klingon does not
-have a singular "g". Then I get "I listen to the conference, but I can't
-write."

I listen to the conference, but I can't write it.

-> lIHghachvaD chargwI' qatlho'
-"I thank you, conquerer, for the introduction."? (Moi? Anyway, I'm curious
-about this word order. If "chargwI'" is a proper name and the person to whom
-thanks are offered, I would have placed the name first. If "charghwI'" is
-just a noun, I can't figure out how it fits into the meaning of this
-sentence.)

I think it was you who posted the transscription of the intorduction?
Anyway, why would you transpose the name?  I'm not arguing that I'm right
but I am curious as to the reason I am wrong.

-> jInIDqanglI' 'ach Qatlh
-"I'm in the process of being willing to try, but it is difficult."

-> vI'IjtaHvIS pa'Daq puqBe'pu' parHa'Be' be'nal'oy
-"While I continue to listen over at that place, the dear wife does not like
-the girls." (Note the double negative on parHa'Be'. I would have just said
-"puqBe'pu' par be'nal'oy." Otherwise you are really saying something like,
-"The dear wife does not undo disliking the girls.")

Why is the translation not:
"While I continue to listen, my dear wife does not like the girls
in the room"

The correct text in tlhIngan should be??:

ramjepDaq jIvum 'ej nISghach vIpoQ
wa'leS ghojwI'wI' Ser vIja'nISbej           <correction
vumghachchaj QaQ
wa'maH loS Hu' "Power Klingon" vIje'        <correction
vIparHa' 'ach Qoypo'mey qab 'e' vItu'
ja'chuqghach vI'Ij 'ach vIghItlhlaHbe'      <spelling correction
lIHghachvaD chargwI' qatlho'
jInIDqanglI' 'ach Qatlh
vI'IjtaHvIS pa'Daq puqbe'pu' par be'nal'oy  <correction

My response time is also a bit slow due to our mail system acting up.

Matt Whiteacre
[email protected]

Back to archive top level