tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 24 17:33:19 1993

Re: What *did* we ask Okrand?

> Indo-European languages tend to have well-developed tense-marking
> mechanisms, and we often come to think that tense is a normal and
> indispensible distinction in human languages.  However, Okrand is a
> good linguist (Ph.D. from Berkeley) and knows that many languages
> even here on earth have aspects, and no tenses, just like Klingon.
> These include Arabic and at least some Polynesian languages.

Just out of curiosity, why did Okrand get the job of making Klingon?
Is he a big Trekkie who wanted to do it, or has he done some work on
aritficial languages, or did the makers of ST 3 just pick a good
linguist at random?  I was wondering about this just the other day.

> Ken Beesley

Peter Garza
[email protected]

Back to archive top level