tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 23 07:08:31 1993

themscrewyrelativeclauses

>From: [email protected]
>Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1993 02:08:51 -0400 (EDT)

>Ok, so your suggestion for relative clauses is to use one of the normal
>pronouns to indicate how the head noun is used in the main clause:
>{DujDaq jIHaw'pu'bogh 'oHvaD nIn vISuq}

You got it now.

>I almost agree. It would seem to me that maybe Klingon uses another
>special pronoun that functions sort of like one of English's relative
>pronouns. Let's identify it as X:
>{XDaq jIHaw'pu'bogh DujvaD nIn vISuq}

Well, maybe.  But somehow it seems unlikely that Okrand would have left out
a pronoun for us: pronouns are generally closed classes, and small ones,
and he'd have said all there was.  It seems much more likely, and a much
smaller change to the language, to allow for this alternate use of existing
pronouns and relative clauses than to allow the new use *and* a new
pronoun.  Besides, lots of languages (as I mentioned before,
Hebrew/Semitic languages, English) do fine with regular pronouns in
relative places; relative clauses are an IE trick.

>This ideas about relative clauses are getting a little wild, people.

Perhaps.

>Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos

~mark

Back to archive top level