tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 23 07:03:16 1993

nujDaq qam lanpu' vay'

>From: [email protected]
>Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1993 01:52:32 -0400 (EDT)

>I'd just like to slip in an opinion on the subject of whether or not
>{'e'} can tack on suffixes, specifically the Type5NounSuffix {-mo'}.
>My vote is {ghobe'}- and here's the logic behind it:
>Consider the following sentence
>{puHmaj yot maghghom 'e'mo' maHaw'}
>"The army invades our land- because of that we flee."

>This is highly redundant. If you want to mean "because of [the whole sentence]
>just make it a whole world easier on yourself. Use {-mo'} as it was supposed
>to be used in a case like this: as a _VERB_ suffix. It makes a whole load
>more sense to say {puHmaj yotmo' maghghom maHaw'}.

Exactly.  Every time I realize this anew I hit myself on the head for not
seeing it.  You're completely right.  This won't work in *all* situations
(like Krankor's patented use of "'e'" to refer to something someone else
said), but it's usually what's needed.  And there's always "wanI'vammo'" to
mop up.

>Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos

~mark

Back to archive top level