tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 23 05:49:59 1993

Re: themscrewyrelativeclauses

On Nov 23,  2:46am, [email protected] wrote:
> Subject: Re: themscrewyrelativeclauses
>
> Ok, so your suggestion for relative clauses is to use one of the normal
> pronouns to indicate how the head noun is used in the main clause:
> {DujDaq jIHaw'pu'bogh 'oHvaD nIn vISuq}
> I almost agree. It would seem to me that maybe Klingon uses another
> special pronoun that functions sort of like one of English's relative
> pronouns. Let's identify it as X:
> {XDaq jIHaw'pu'bogh DujvaD nIn vISuq}

     My problem with this is that it looks to me like "For the
benefit/purpose of the place of the ship from which I escaped, I get fuel." I
think it lacks the clear sense that the ship was used in order to escape.
"DujDaq jIHaw'pu'bogh" is confusing. "At the ship - which I escaped (no
object) - for it - I get it." It just doesn't tie together for me. I clearly
understand the "I get fuel for it," part. That makes sense, but the focus of
the example ("the ship in which I escaped") does not make it through my thick
forehead. I don't see that meaning in those words.

     I know that no one wants to hear that it is a separate and complete
thought and so might possibly better fit into another sentence, so I won't
say that this time. {{:)>  I'll just say that I am less fascinated with
constructing complex sentences and words than I am in trying to learn to
speak, write, understand and read Klingon; to take a thought in English and
convey it to a person who understands Klingon. My highest goal is to express
something even better in Klingon than in English, since each language has its
strengths. Also, in working with multiple languages, focusing on the same
ideas, feelings and thoughts, the attention polishes the thoughts, feelings
and ideas and enriches them.

     Along the way, I have an odd interest in understanding the Klingon
perspective. It seems to resonate with a piece of me that is passionate about
things happening around me. ("Yes, invigorating, isn't it?")

     Mostly, I wish this list provided more examples of clear thoughts
expressed in Klingon and less fascination with obscure grammatical
constructions. This is not intended to be a criticism. The list is here for
many people to have different interests fed. I just feel like MY interest
doesn't get much attention. I really appreciated Krankor's month of Klingon
only. He is without peer in consistently providing quantities of clearly
spoken Klingon on this list. I will take time to read his posts even when I
just print other people's posts to hack through later, because I can trust
that whatever he is saying can be deciphered quickly, while others may
contain obtuse (and often mistaken) constructions that will take a lot of
time and offer very little meaning. I can only build a vocabulary by repeated
exposure to words in context, and this list is the best source of such
context, though often it seems too little.

     Then again, I wish I had more time to WRITE simple, clear Klingon. Early
next year things might lighten up some. Until then, I just sigh and save and
print messages and translate some of them when I can...

--   chargwI'

Back to archive top level