tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 23 06:45:32 1993

speech

>From: Nick Nicholas <[email protected]>
>Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1993 11:01:23 +1100 (GMT)

>To Mark E. Shoulson respond I thus:
>#>From: Will Martin <[email protected]>

>A couple of questions.

>#>chorghmaH Soch ben puH'a'vamDaq wo' chu' chenmoH vavpu'maj

>I know "ben" is translated as "years ago", but is "chorghmaH Soch ben" really
>an adverbial expression? If Okrand says it's a noun, I suspect it's a noun,
>and something more like chorghmaH Soch ben qaSDI' might be more appropriate.
>Any canon examples?

Wellllll, I don't think there's a canon example for that word specifically,
but there are some *very* closely related ones.  Compare: "Hu'" is given as
"days ago", and "wa'Hu'" is "yesterday," "cha'Hu'" is "the day before
yesterday".  We know these are adverbial; we have canon phrases like
"wa'Hu' jIghung" (yesterday I was hungry).  I'd say it's pretty safe to
allow "wa'ben" for "last year" and "wa'nem" for next year, adverbially,
even as I'd accept "wa'maHleS" for "ten days from now."

>#>  wo'vetlhDaq tlhab ghajtaH Hoch 'ej potlhtaH Hoch ghot

>wo'vamDaq, surely, if this is the current topic of discussion?

*shrug*.  "this" vs. "that" is something I can easily see not being
well-defined.

>#I'd
>#say "ghotpu' Hoch", "the people's all" (like "my all", etc, for "all of me").
>Is there any canon evidence for treating Hoch like the other numbers, like
>we do in Lojban? I suspect not...

It's not a number, it's a noun.  In Hebrew, the word for "all" is also a
noun, and it's used in possessive constructions: "all of the children"
(hey, sounds like English, doesn't it?  Fancy that.)  Hence, I'd accept
"puqpu' Hoch".

~mark

Back to archive top level