tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 19 13:05:38 1993

Re: nujDaq qam lanpu' vay'

>>Okay, here goes...

>I thought I saw something(s) that Krankor may have missed...

>>   Riker qab ghajnISpu'mo' "_ST:TNG Companion_"Hey je'ta' ghaH
>>jIHvaD ja'lI'.  "technical manuals" laDlI'vIS "Trekkies" Hoch paqvam
>>vIje'ta' 'e'mo' (1) 'ar jI"be embarrassed"pu' (2) 'e' DaSovbe' ja'ta'
>>ghaH.

>Can you say "laDlI'vIS"?  "-lI'" is sorta like "-taH", but it would seem
>that "-vIS" really needs "-taH", according to section 4.2.9.  I'm not
>entirely sure about the "-lI'"s elsewhere here, but aspect's tricky to keep
>straight, and I won't say you should change them.

I looked at it, and thought it was interesting and sufficiently borderline
to allow it.

>>   tlhIngan Hol jatlhbogh loDvaD bIja'taH vIja'ta'.  'IjtaH Holvam
>>vIjatlh 'e' Sovbogh juppu'wIj wa' je 'ej Haghqu'choH ghaH.

>"juppu'wI'"; they're sentient (I hope!).  Do you mean "one of my friends
>who know I speak Klingon"?  Then the "wa'" comes *first*.  When numbers
>come afterwards they mean something like "number one" (you used this
>construction when referring to your music teacher in a previous post--it
>was you, right?--and I figured it sort of worked for "first", though
>wa'DIch would have been better).

I saw the -wIj glitch and forgot to mention it.  Good catch.

I'm sure he means "one of my friends", and I think he's in the right.
juppu'wI' wa', by the number rule, does mean something like "my friends
#1".  But wa' juppu'wI' means "one my friends".  Neither is really quite
what we want.  But you *could* get what you want by applying the N-N rule,
which is what I interpreted that he did.  I don't know, the whole thing is
kind of murky, so, again, when in doubt, I let it stand.

                    --Krankor

Back to archive top level