tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 03 08:32:16 1993

Conjunctions

>From: Nick Nicholas <[email protected]>
>Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1993 10:01:29 +1000 (GMT)

>To Matthew Whiteacre respond I thus:

>#How do you make a list of three or more nouns?  Would it be N-N-N-je?

>#ghorDaq mara qeng Qel je julup

>Hm. I don't see why not. There is an ambiguity problem, but there's a problem
>with a list of just two nouns too: (N N) N je vs. N (N N) je. Still, I'd
>have a lot of time for N N je N je. If nothing else, it's so... Reverse
>Polish! :)

The only language I have to compare to is Sanskrit, which also has its
conjunctions postposed.  Unfortunately, it's extremely inconsistent about
it, sometimes putting the conjunction after each element, sometimes only
after the last, etc (and when conjoining sentences the conjunction can come
in between or pretty much anywhere in the second, or both).  N N je N je
makes sense from a logical perspective, as RPN, and I'd bet it would be
considered correct, if perhaps wordy.  Colloquial usage would probably use
N N N je in cases where context makes ambiguity unlikely.

~mark

Back to archive top level