tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 25 15:19:23 1993

Negation

>From: [email protected] (Krenath)
>Date:    Fri, 25 Jun 93 14:13:35 EST

>Well, since the Klingon Dictionary goes into some detail about the fact that
>there is no direct translation for the infinitive "to be", what are we supposed
>to do to say "to not be" as in 'I am not Klingon' (for a simple one, since
>this was on The Tape and includes a nice pronoun we can think of as meaning
>'I am") or, a little more confusing when hunting suffixes for nouns,
>"this is not my chair."  quSwIj 'oH Dochvam 'e' means "this is my chair"
>so where do we plug in the negation?  "'oHbe'"?

Yes.  TKD specifies, sect. 6.3, that pronouns can be used as "to be",
taking verbal suffixes.  There's also the example in the tape, "tlhIngan
jIHbe'" for "I am not a Klingon".

Oh, and it's "quSwIj 'oH Dochvam'e'", with the suffix "-'e'", not the
separate word "'e'".

>- Krenath

~mark

Back to archive top level