tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 25 14:48:03 1993

instrumental case which isn't there

A question (or proposal):

	Can the special sentence pronoun 'e' take noun suffixes?

	If it can, can the vexing problem of the instrumental be
solved as follows:

	verengan vIHoHpu' 'e'vaD tajvam ghaHpu'

	I killed the Ferengi with this knife,

	literally "I killed the Ferengi; for that, this knife was".

	This seems reasonably economical; the really superfluous
seeming element is the pronoun used for "to be" which is needed to
complete the second sentence; I felt the need to make it agree in
aspect with the verb in the main sentence, but this is optional.

				--"Randall Holmes" mughlaw'wI'

Back to archive top level