tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 18 17:39:06 1993

RE: Klingon Kulture, qam-wIj!

Actually, It's incorrect to say that Klingon traditions themselves date back
as far as the '60s.  THe Klingons may have originated in the few original
episodes (And oh, how they've evolved in almost 30 years!) but almost all
references to any Klingon traditions have been either in unofficial sources
like fanzines and other books, or in the Next Generation and Deeps Space Nine
episodes featuring Klingons.

The point is, we *do* realize that Klingons are not real, that Star Trek as a
whole is just an imaginary universe some of us would *like* to be part of,
but we do have a decent grip on reality, such as when we have to go to our jobs
and deal with mindane people all day, or when we wash dishes because replicators
and reclamation facilities haven't been invented yet, when we wait 30 minutes
for a pizza because Domino's is, unfortunately, more than just a convenient
slot in the wall.

We're not lost in our imaginary universe like it might appear to those that
don't feel the same way.  None of us really believe we are Vulcans or
Klingons or Romulans or hwatever race, even though the *idea* of those races
and what cultures they might have intrigues us.

Our speculations on the culture of the Klingon people are based on our
observation of Klingons and their roles in the Star Trek episodes.  Our
guesses as to why Klingons do somethings a certain way are guesses and not
to be taken as meaning any more than that.

I enjoy myself and do not believe I am losing touch with reality, and I think
I can find enough people to back up my claim in case my own judgement is
in question.  I do not try to interfere with others' enjoyment of this list
or their own hobbies and I do not expect others to do that to me.

Enjoy the List and let others do so or please unsubscribe.

- Krenath

Disclaimer: The opinions of Eric Koske (Krenath) do not necessarily reflect
those of the Klingon Language list, it's subscribers, or it's mediators.
Besides, he wants to take full credit for any unrest he might generate. Nyah.

Back to archive top level