tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 13 17:49:43 1993

Klinglish

          It's gratifying to see Klingon slang taken up elsewhere.
          I've been meaning to post and explain my motives for
          positing a form of "Klinglish".  It's more utilitarian than
          malicious.

          I'd been trying to use Harry Lorayne's mnemonic techniques
          to memorize vocabulary.  Basically, you connect the target
          word with a similar-sounding English word, then make up some
          bizarre association with the meaning.  I've had limited
          success with it in other languages, and Klingon is very well
          suited to it.  I thing it started with Haqwi':  "Dr.
          Hackwit, the surgeon" is almost Dickensian.  (I think
          "jottle" should really be in English, but for communicating
          over the net.)  When I asked myself, "Why would Terrans take
          Klingon words into English?", I remembered how the Norman
          Conquest brought so much French into English (mouton>mutton)
          and posited an analogous situation for Klingon
          (yIH>yique/yiche/yick).  Making it a form of argot is a nod
          to the role of Russian in Anthony Burgess's "Clockwork
          Orange".

          There is a natural and (mnemonically speaking) useful middle
          ground between English and its cognate languages.  In
          Klingon, we have the advantage of being able to construct
          this middle country ourselves through analogy with other
          languages and through free association.  This is why I see
          Klingon as a kind of super Rohrschach, an ink blot raised to
          a higher power (so to speak), and a healthy boost to
          the imagination.

          Kloko-vo'.

Back to archive top level