tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 01 08:21:40 1993

Re: fonts

charghwI' writes:

> >If it has not yet been cast in stone, I'd vote for a mapping more like
> >Dr. Schoen's simply because you don't have to use the shift key when
> >dealing with various letters of the alphabet. The major differences are
> >that there is only one "a" and only one "D", so why require the shift key
> >to type the "D"?

~mark responds:

> Because Marc Okrand did.

charghwI' responds to the response:

     Sorry, guy, you miss my point. Since there is no upper case "a" in
Klingon, why not map both the "A" and "a" keystrokes to the character "a"?
Similarly, since there is no lower case "D" in Klingon, why not map both "d"
and "D" keystrokes to "D"? Then those who type using Marc Okrand's keystrokes
OR those who type without using the shift key will get the same result
appearing on the screen and page. That way, you can type faster with fewer
typos.

     Besides, if you are mapping to an alternate character set, just exactly
what are you going to DO with "A" and "d" keystrokes? Leave them BLANK? And
what about "f"? Also, my experience is that it takes very little retraining
to learn to type a "k" when you want "q" and a "q" when you want "Q", an "f"
for "ng", a "g" for "gh" and an "x" for "tlh".

     But this is just a suggestion. If you have better ideas as to what to do
with "A" and "d", let's hear them. {{:)

--   charghwI'

Back to archive top level